Saturday, April 16, 2011

Art Projects

This past weekend I spent a lot of time completing the art projects I had planned for Will's nursery. The first thing I made were two giraffe paintings. I got my inspiration from a giraffe print that I found on Etsy. I still haven't made up my mind about them; sometimes I think they are a little too plain, but at other times I like their simplicity.  I think I will hang them up and see what I think after I look at them for a few days.




The next thing I made was some thread art. You can find the tutorial here. I knew I wanted Will's name to be in the room, but I wanted to do something a little different than painted block letters. Although I love painted block letters, I wanted to do something a little more unique and modern.



I can't wait for the nursery to be complete and to see how it all works together.

On to the next project....

4 comments:

  1. That's incredible! Great job Lauren!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks awesome!!! Great job!
    Thank you so much for the link.

    fraufertig

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering...How did you make the giraffe prints? I am using similar colors in my son's nursery and I am in love with giraffes and elephants.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dana, First I painted the canvas white. Then I found two images of giraffes online and printed them out and cut them out. Next, I cut out strips of tape from painters tape and placed them criss-crossed on the canvas in the center where I was going to paint the giraffe. I made sure not to put one directly over where the head would be because I wanted it to be whole. Then, I painted a coat of white paint over the tape to seal it. After that, I put the paper giraffe stencil down and traced around it with a map color close to the color I was going to paint the giraffe. Then, I painted the giraffe orange with the painters tape still down. This took a couple of coats. After it was dry, I peeled off the painters tape and fixed any problem areas with a small brush. I hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete